If you have purchased a new computer and need to move Show Buddy to that computer, this is the process:
- Install DMXIS & Show Buddy on the new computer.
- Copy over all your DMXIS data as described here
- Backup Show Buddy on the old computer (File>Backup, creates a .dbb backup file)
- Restore the backup ( .dbb file) on your new computer (using File>Restore)
- Copy the Show Buddy media folder (everything under the Media Files folder) to the new computer. (This article tells you how to locate the Media Files folder)
Check out the Media Storage & Backup Strategy section of the Show Buddy manual for more info.
Show Buddy stores all your track, lightshow and show information in a single database file. As you create and edit your tracks & shows, Show Buddy automatically and silently saves your changes to the database – there is no File Open or Save option as is found in document based programs.
You can create backups of the current database from the File > Backup database menu option. This will archive the database in a .dbb file. It’s a good idea to backup your database regularly while you are editing, and before each live gig (so you can always recover to a known point should something go wrong).
To restore from a backup, select the File > Restore from backup… menu option and choose a .dbb backup file.
Note that your actual audio tracks (e.g. wav and mp3 files) are NOT saved & restored as part of this procedure. When you drag an audio file into Show Buddy, a copy of that file is made in the Show Buddy media folder. You should separately backup this media folder on a regular basis:
- Windows XP: C:/Documents and Settings/All Users/Application Data/Show Buddy
- Windows Vista/7/8: C:\ProgramData\Show Buddy\Media Files
- OS X: /Library/Application Support/db audioware/Show Buddy/Media Files
In Windows XP, you may also need to enable hidden folders:
- In Windows Explorer menu, choose Tools > Folder Options…
- In View tab, click Show hidden files and folders” then Apply
- Click Apply to All Folders
You should also backup your DMXIS configuration and banks/presets as described here.
Your DMXIS data is stored here:
- Windows XP: C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Documents\ENTTEC\DMXIS
- Vista & Windows 7/8/10: C:\Users\Public\Public Documents\ENTTEC\DMXIS
- OS X: \Library\Application Support\ENTTEC\DMXIS
Note: to get to this location in OS X 10.7 or later, perform the following steps:
- Click the Finder icon in the OS X Dock
- Select the Go > Go to Folder… menu option
- Type in /Library/Application Support/ENTTEC/DMXIS and click Go.
To back up all of your DMXIS show data and your settings (e.g. loaded fixtures, MIDI Learn data, footswitch settings etc) copy the entire DMXIS folder to your backup location. To restore your shows & settings, copy the backup to the original location and restart DMXIS.